Friday, June 13, 2008

Maybe This Will Will Work...


Nothing will test your ability as a parent more than potty training. Well, I know there are more challenges to come that may or may not be more difficult than that but right now, it's our biggest challenge. You have a better chance of sighting a UFO than you do of Owen sitting on the toilet. He outright, adamantly refuses to sit on it and even my attempts at bribing him with chocolate, marshmallows, toys, stickers, a telephone call to Daddy, and things like that, have failed. We decided to take a hiatus from training and for weeks we didn't talk about the potty. If Owen talked about it, fine, but neither myself or Chris brought it up. Yesterday I bought another potty from Ikea for $3. So, no big loss if it doesn't get used. Maybe Ana will someday. I thought I would just stick it in our living room and maybe try to get him to sit on it while he watches tv. One thing that Owen loves to do is play with the Nintendo Wii. He's obsessed about it and because of that I've not been letting him play with the Wii for a few months now, saying things like "We can't play with the Wii because the batteries don't work." That held him off but then he got to telling me to go to the store and buy new batteries. He even smarted up one day and pulled out the toolbox where we keep all our batteries but I lied to him and told him we didn't have the right size batteries. Then Daddy bought home a new game from work and of course Owen wanted to play with it. Knowing it would keep him busy for at least an hour, I got an idea. Sit him on the potty while he played and if he wanted to get off, then he had to stop playing and we put the game away. As I write this, he's been playing for nearly an hour. Nothing in the potty yet, but I'm pessimistically hopeful. Who knows if this approach will work tomorrow.

No comments: