Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Dinnertime Meltdown

If by reading the above title, you guessed Owen was involved, you were right.

Owen has got to be the world's pickiest eater. We've been trying our best to get Owen to expand his palette beyond pasta but it's been difficult. We've tried bribing him a variety of ways but believe it or not, he's willing to pass up dessert, candy, chocolate and whatnot just so he doesn't have to eat his dinner. Then we tried the putting him right to bed without dinner if he refused to eat. It got to where he'd see what was being served for dinner and then ask to be put to bed. That didn't work either. So now these days the method is this: He has to sit at the table, even if he refuses to eat. He has to at least try a bite or two of whatever is served. If he won't try anything, he has to sit at the table anyway and he has an hour to eat/try his food. If he eats something before the hour is up he can leave the table and stay up until bedtime. If the hour is up without food-to-mouth contact, then he has to go straight to bed. 

We had plain chicken and rice with shredded carrots and peas in them for dinner tonight. He wouldn't touch anything. I made the rules clear to him after his first objection. He grumbled and moaned and tried to get out of his predicament but I held fast. Meanwhile, Ana is eating her dinner - no problem. Then she moved on to dessert. Owen said over and over again that he wanted to get down, wouldn't eat his dinner, didn't want to eat what I ate, and then started to cry. I reminded him of the rules and said that all he had to do, and it was simple, was take a bite or two of the chicken and rice and the whole thing would be over with, otherwise he'd have to go to bed without dinner, without milk and without a bedtime story.

With big fat tears streaming down his face he said, "I won't eat the chicken, I won't try the rice. I won't play with Mason, Sophie or Joyanne again. I won't get in the car and go bye bye with you. I won't go to the park or the playground again. I won't play," and he wasn't done. He took a big breath and then said dramatically, "I won't do anything else for the rest of my life!" and crossed his arms across his chest.

*SIGH*

What's more, is that a few days ago as I was putting water on the stove to steam some vegetables, Owen came up and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was making dinner. He thought about it for a second and then said, "Well, then I'd like to order..." 

I don't remember what he ordered. I was so taken aback by the fact that he was treating me like a waitress!

4 comments:

Heather said...

It's tough having such a picky eater. Just keep introducing new foods and stick to your guns. He'll find something he likes, even if it turns your hair gray. That's what we keep doing. I've finally got T. eating broccoli. Granted, it is coated in butter, but he'll eat it. Love you much!

Donna said...

Dear Marissa,
Being a stay at home Mom is the hardest job on Earth... Standing firm, when those BIG brown eyes, that you love are pleading... As a teacher of young children, I applaud you... you are doing what's right and best for your growing son... some day soon you and he will appreciate these trials... Tough love is the hardest and most important!
Bless you...
Donna Xoxo

Unknown said...

i'm so sad to hear about your dinner dilemmas...but VERY HAPPY to see that i'm one of Owen favorite playmates:):...keeping you all in my prayers as you continue to train this president-in-the-making;):..lots of love to you all..Joyanne aka Joanne:):)xox

Christy Jones said...

We have those moments too, I finally took away snacks and if they don't eat their dinner they get it again for breakfast and again for lunch and so on. It has cured our picky eaters. Every kid is differnt so keep up the good work!!