Tis the time of year for Christmas cookies! I love cookies, but more when others make them! However, things kind of change when you have kids and I want Owen and Ana to have fun with making and decorating their own cookies. I remember this as something I enjoyed doing as a child. But now that I'm all grown up, I don't mind the making and baking and eating. Those are the great parts. I just HATE the clean-up! I'm the kind of person who is absolutely incapable of not destroying my kitchen every time I use it.
Anyway... So far, Owen has only helped with cutting out the cookies. I didn't check out how many dozens the recipe made so I ended up with a surprising 6 dozen (some of which got eaten before they were decorated). I knew the kids would lose interest in decorating that many cookies so I took half and decided to try my hand at using royal icing. After a while, I started to enjoy it. I found it very time consuming and to decorate my half (minus a few that were eaten) took about one and a half days. For my first time, I think they came out pretty decent. I think with more practice and familiarity with using royal icing, I could get better at this. And, they are good! But because of the time and effort I put into this, Chris feels guilty even looking at them! He wants to eat some but he's afraid to. The kids & I want to eat them too but knowing that we're having company over on the 23rd and that Christmas is coming, I'm trying to save as much as I can for then.
I'm done. I tried something new and now I've got to salvage my kitchen. Underneath all that flour, powdered sugar, dried frosting, bowls, measuring cups, decorator bags, cookies, crusty spoons and whatnot, I've forgotten what color my counter is. Obviously I'm procrastinating. I'm posting this, aren't I? I would include a picture of my kitchen, but I'm too embarrassed.
The kids haven't decorated theirs yet. I'm hoping tomorrow or better yet, Monday, because I just gave them baths this evening. Should be fun. For them at least. For me it's just another massive mess I'll have to clean up. Fun times!
3 comments:
Marisa,
Your cookies are beautiful! You are a great Mom! I could not make a decent cut sugar cookie to save my life... When my children were little the best gift I received every year from a dear colleague, was a box of undecorated holiday cookies. I would bring them home and the kids would decorate with glee. I have to admi t though, my kitchen was a disaster after, but it was worth it.
Happy Holidays!
Donna
As usual Marisa they are gorgeous. I wish I had the patience to decorate in that fashion. I just color some store bought frosting and let the kids go crazy. They aren't pretty... lol!
marisa, your cookies are outstanding!!! i bet they were equally as delicious.
owen, you look like you are having a blast helping your mom with the cookies. i see some evidence of you test tasting....;-)
love you all lots, elsie/grandmama
miss you a ton :-(
Post a Comment