Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Entry from Chris

Tonight, the family and I got in the van and headed to our local video store before going out to dinner. After walking the aisles for a bit, Owen found a movie that he wanted to watch for Movie Night. It was a Christmas movie featuring the characters from "Veggie Tales". In this movie, they address that the true meaning of Christmas is not just about presents, but loving one another, showing those around you how much you care.

Once we got in the van, Owen wanted the movie popped in right away. The movie opens with a grandpa asparagus (I did say this was a veggie tales movie) telling the story to his grandchildren. It starts were the villain is on TV talking to kids and trying to convince them to have their parents buy an expensive toy. The toy is a robot boy, and when you press his nose he says, "I know the true meaning of Christmas! Its all about getting lots and lot of toys!"

Its about this time we arrive at the restaurant and I turn the van (and the movie) off and we start to pile out. Owen then looks at me and says, "Dad, I know the true meaning of Christmas now!" I said, "Ya? What is it?" His reply was, "You have to get me lots and lots of presents!" I laughed a bit and told him that isn't the "true" meaning of Christmas and asked if he wanted to know what that was. He said sure, and I said, "Christmas is a time where we appreciate those that love us by letting them know we love them back. You don't have to spend any money, but letting them know how much you care is enough." To this Owen's persistent reply was, "But Daddy, have you seen my shopping list yet??"

2 comments:

how I enjoyed this!, said...

Oh, Chris, what a sweet story! Thank you for sharing it. What would we do without all the happiness and joy that our children bring to us!?! You and your special family always bring me a heart full of smiles.
Love, Mary Ann

PS~ Chris, share more stories with us, please! You are as nice and sweet as your Mom, Elsie!

Anonymous said...

chris, i just loved your story. that owen is a clever one. i bet his list involves lots of hugs and love from those that love him and you all...what do you think? but lets not forget a few added toys.

love you lots, mom

p.s. thank you mary ann...you are a sweetheart.