Owen is ice skating again. Last winter he passed the Snowbunny level and graduated to Level 1. After a few lessons in Level 1 he started to lose interest and it became such an effort to drag him to the rink. Nevertheless, he finished all his Level 1 lessons, but he didn't pass. To proceed to Level 2, he first had to pass 1 but Owen was ready for a break and it wasn't until last Friday that he once again, laid a blade to the ice. A few weeks ago, while out walking Zoey, I came across one of his skating instructors and caught up a bit with her. She informed me that the new skating lessons were starting up in a little over a week and for the first time in a long time, classes were not full. I wasn't going to sign the kids up for any activities this fall because I wanted them to get used to being in school first. While conversing with Chris, I mentioned my run-in with the instructor and Owen overheard. He piped up and made it known that he wanted to skate again. So a couple of days later, I went to the Rec Center and checked out their Level 1 skating schedule and sure enough, there were plenty of time slots available and I made sure to choose one that didn't interfere with school and wasn't so demanding on his schedule. I signed Ana up for tumbling as well. So now, every Friday afternoon till mid-December, we are at the rink. During his first lesson last Friday, he did so well, and because it's the truth, he was doing better than the others that were participating in his class. Today was his second lesson and I had Ana with me so therefore I was a bit distracted. Imagine my surprise when I see Owen skating with a different group and I thought to myself, "Oh great, what's he doing now??" I waited to see if anyone noticed they were missing a head or if the other instructor noticed she had a stranger in their midst. Before going all mom-ballistic, I decided to give the instructors the benefit of the doubt and sure enough it became obvious to me that Owen was where they wanted him to be. He was skating with the Level 2's and doing GREAT!! After the lesson was over, two instructors approached me and said that after last week's class they realized that Owen was too advanced for Level 1 so they decided to bump him up and after today's lesson, they felt confident in their decision to do so. They also told me to get his skates sharpened and to put him in a coat that wasn't so bulky. So, we made an unplanned trip to Sears to get a lighter coat before heading home!
As for Ana, she tumbles every tuesday morning while Owen is in Kindergarten. Well... it's not so much tumbling as it is a whole lot of running around, but she enjoys it! That's all that matters.

No comments:
Post a Comment