Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Courage for Difficult Conversations

I had today, what was obviously a difficult conversation for my daughter to initiate. I won’t go into details because it was extremely personal to Ana. I was first of all, proud of her for mustering up the courage and the words to say what she wanted to say and have discussions about the questions she brought up. They were hard questions for her to ask me - maybe out of fear that I would be upset that she asked them, or that I would love her less for her thoughts and opinions, or in her own words, “I feel that what I’m about to ask is a dumb thing/question and that I’ll regret that I ever brought it up.”

"First off. there’s no such thing as a dumb question.” I told her. “If you’re thinking of it and it bothers you, obviously its a question that deserves to be asked. Better to ask and get an answer than to have it unresolved and always wonder or worse yet, wrongly assume.”

I love her, and Owen for all that they are, imperfections and all. I made sure she knew that and I want to write this down for all of obscurity, and forevermore, that it’s in writing and permanent.

After an hour of talking with her about whatever she wanted to talk about, I tucked her in. Said goodnight. Said I-love-yous and sweet-dreams. Gave hugs and left her room but not before seeing a sweet smile on her beautiful face. 

I walked into the kitchen to make myself a cup of hot tea with a healthy dose of honey because I have a cold… that I caught from my daughter. I turn around and find her walking into the kitchen.

“Mom, I just wanted to say thank you for letting me talk.”

She wrapped her arms around my waist and all I could do right then and there was laugh/cry.

“Are you laughing?” she asked me.

“Tears of happiness.” I said. “Come on, let’s get you back in bed. I’ll tuck you in again.” She led me back into her room, smiling and holding my hand. “You made my day, Ana. Thank you so much for that.”

“Made your night, you mean?”

“My day and all day tomorrow. You have no idea how much this and you mean to me.”


She’s back in bed and tucked in… again. I really hope she has a good night’s sleep.

No comments: