Don't worry... Owen's visit to the doctor was just an annual check-up and we needed to update his immunizations. I'm happy to report that he doesn't get any more shots until before he starts kindergarten.
I actually think he had fun at the doctor's! He got a lot of attention from strangers in the waiting room. Then when we got called in, and asked to strip down, Owen enjoyed his time in the nude. And there were weird things hanging from the wall that he liked to get his hands on... the blood pressure reader and the flashlight for looking into the eyes, nose, ears & mouth. There was also an endless roll of paper on the exam table, and chairs that rolled around. And when Dr. Fyfe came into our room, Owen chatted her up. I actually had to put my hand over his mouth to shut him up so she could listen to his heartbeat and lungs. He was weighed and he's now 24 lbs., 12 oz..
Then the shots came. Three of them. Dr. Fyfe showed me how I needed to hold him in my arms and on my lap while she administered the shots. The first shot came. Not a peep out of Owen! The 2nd shot... still not a sound, but he did try to grab for the stringe. And finally the third and last shot and... nothing! I was shocked that he handled this experience so well. I was so prepared to kick into mommy-mode and wipe off his tears and try to calm him down, but I didn't need to. The doctor was impressed. My giving him tylenol before the visit probably had something to do with it. But still... it is impressive, isn't it??
It did catch up to him eventually. After dinner Owen started to get a little whiny. Those whines transitioned into wimpers and later, crying. I knew he was feeling sore from the shots and my mommy-mode, which was put on hold earlier, got it's chance. After some more tylenol and warm milk, he passed out cold in no time at all. This was the easiest time I've ever had putting him down for the night. As much as I love my quality time with Owen and reading to him before bed, it was GREAT to get a break from reading the same book over and over again. He's got this nursery rhyme book that he's been making me read every night for the last 2 months. I've tried to sneak in different books, but he always interferres by grabbing the book from me, closing it and throwing it on the floor. He then points to the nursery rhyme book and won't leave me alone about it until I open it and start reading. From then on, he's all ears and perfectly content to let me read aloud.
The doctor's visit aside, everything else is fine. Chris is working hard, but always finds time to give Owen some one-on-one. Those two have so much fun together. I'm moving along and doing well. The baby in me is a mover and a shaker. I've started getting ferocious bouts of heartburn just before bedtime. Like it was with Owen, Tums has become a regular nighttime routine for me.
Speaking of nighttime, I'm off to bed.
Love,
Marisa
No comments:
Post a Comment