Thursday, January 10, 2008

Our Vacation in Rochester, NY

Our flight to Rochester from Vancouver was a good one. We stopped in Toronto for our connecting flight to our final destination. Owen and Ana were very good throughout the flight. Ana did have her fussy moments, but I really can't complain because for the most part, it was pretty manageable. The best part about finally getting there was seeing Grandma & Grandpa M! Grandpa and Ana got to meet for the very first time and Owen of course, had no trouble at all bonding with Grandpa. We spent the next few days in Rochester and our days there were busy shopping days up until we left for Vermont. My nieces, Julea, Mairin and Natalie turned 5 and had a birthday party and Santa dropped in for a visit! Owen had a ball playing with his cousins.
My dad generously let us borrow his vehicle on our trip to Vermont. My sister and her family provided the carseats for both Owen and Ana. All of it - a huge help! I wish I could say our drive to VT was uneventful, but it wasn't. Owen got carsick and threw up all over himself! Oh what fun it was to ride in a vomit-smelling car! Not only that... the driver's side mirror cracked somehow while the car was street-parked in Burlington, VT. We felt bad about all of that. Still do!
Heading back to Rochester, we made sure Owen didn't have a big breakfast prior to leaving, and that ride... was fortunately, uneventful. This time, waiting for us at my parent's house was Uncle Mike. Another person for Owen to play with!
A few days later, Ana had her baptism. Grandmama and Grandpa Quintana were supposed to come, but a series of unfortunate events forced them to stay home. Grandpa Q hurt his back and a 5 hour drive would've been too painful. Also, their water heater sprung a leak. Aunt Liza, who is Ana's other Godmother was in New York City. I'm glad that Ana was able to wear Aunt Liza's christening outfit. Though they weren't there for this event, they were in Ana's outfit as well as in thought. After the baptism, we had a very nice family brunch just down the street from the church.
That same afternoon, we had an open house at my parent's house. Friends and family stopped by and that was wonderful! I got to see my old next door neighbor from Rippingale and we surprised her with Ana. She had no idea our family grew by one more. We also saw our old next door neighbors from Sannita Drive as well as old friends, friends from work, school and so on. And then of course, more Aunts, Uncles and cousins! My only regret was not being able to talk more with everyone that showed up. We decided to host this open house when I realized that I just didn't have time to visit everyone personally! I'm glad I did this, but it also would've been nice to give everyone some personal attention, visit their homes and so on. It was so nice of everyone to come. I appreciated every minute of it!
Then, just as quickly as it all started, it was over. Three weeks is a long time to be on vacation but it came and went too fast! Another week, or two... or three would've been nice, wouldn't it? As crazy as it was, I loved it all. Most of all I loved what it was for my children - the chance to see their family outside of Mom & Dad. To see Owen's smile as he played with his cousins and Ana's face light up when someone held her was absolutely priceless. As crazy as it all was, I cannot wait for our next visit!

A very heartfelt thank you to everyone who took the time to visit with us, for the gifts you gave and shared with us and for the love you have shown towards my kids. And to our parents and Owen and Ana's grandparents - thank you so much for sharing your home and more with us. We love you very much.

Love, Marisa

No comments: