We told Carol that we would hang around in the hallway for about 5 minutes after class started just in case they needed us. Owen didn't cry as we left. I think he wanted to follow us out but he stayed put. After 5 minutes in the hallway, we slowly walked out, got in the car and drove home. Without Owen. He's in school now!
Chris went to work and for 2 hours until I had to go back and pick Owen up, I didn't know what to do with myself. But Ana took control and took complete and full advantage of her time with me and we just played on the floor, tumbled, cuddled and had a little snack. She was a very happy little girl.
I went back to the school a few minutes before the designated pick-up time. I took a peek in the classroom's window and quickly found Owen who appeared to be doing just fine. He didn't see me. He was busy following along with the going-home preparations, and he was with other children, seemingly interested in their company. When he saw me walk in the classroom to get him, he was all smiles and ready to go home. He told me, "I had fun today." I'm so proud of my little boy.
Carol told me he was very good. He did a craft project and was asked if he wanted to show me but he didn't. So that means I have to wait until Friday before I can see what it was he made. I hope tomorrow, when Chris drops him off for his second day there, that he continues to have a good experience and as the days go by, that he becomes more and more comfortable with the idea of being at school.
2 comments:
owen, i am so delighted your first day of school was such a success. we are soooo proud of you.
here's a little poem i would love to share with you all.... i hope you enjoy it ;-)
WHOSE CHILD IS THIS?
"whose child is this?" i asked one day seeing a little one out at play
"mind", said the parent with a tender smile
"mine to keep a little while
to bathe his hands & comb his hair
to tell him what he is to wear
to prepare him that he may always be good
and each day do the things he should"
"whose child is this?' i asked again
as the door opened and someone came in
"mine", said the teach with the same tender smile
"mine, to keep just for a little while
to teach him how to be gentle and kind
to train and direct his dear little mind
to help him live by every rule
and get the best he can from school"
"whose child is this?" i asked once more
just as the little one entered the door
"ours", said the parent and the teacher as they smiled
and each took the hand of the little child
"ours to love and train together
ours this blessed task forever."
chris and marisa this is also a big step for you...owen going to preschool is a big deal. i love the opportunities you continue to afford your beautiful children.
love to all, grandmama/elsie/mom
oops...i wrote "mind, said the parent" i meant "mine" also
said the teach....it should read "teacher"
sorry about that.
love, elsie
Post a Comment