Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Owenisms

It's amazing what can come out of a child's mouth. Some things kids say are not blog-worthy but once in a while they'll say something that invokes reflection, consideration, awareness, laughter, tears, anger, fear... the whole spectrum of emotions and that's pretty powerful stuff, especially coming from a 3 year old such as Owen. I wrote down two such instances:

April 17, 2009

Today Owen was driving me up the wall with non-stop, rapid-fire questions. It was driving me nuts but I didn't say anything to him. I just covered my face with my hands and sighed. Owen tapped me on the leg to get my attention, then asked me, "Mommy, are you losing your mind?"


Silence, from me, then a chuckle. "Yes, Owen. I am losing my mind. In fact, I lost it a while ago."


"Then you gotta go find it," said Owen.


May 4, 2009:


We have a great view of the moon from my bedroom window and one night Owen, Ana and I were moon gazing.


"I wish I were big so that I could reach up to the moon and see what it feels like," said Owen.


(We will be planning a trip to the Space Museum in Vancouver one rainy day this summer. They have an actual moon rock there that you can touch.)


May, 2009:


One morning before work and dropping Owen off at preschool, Chris was standing in front of Owen in our foyer watching him try to put his shoes on. Owen sighed and Chris asked him what was wrong.


"Daddy, I'm exasperated," said Owen.


"Exasperated?" asked Chris.


"Yes Daddy, it means frustrated," replied Owen.

1 comment:

Christy Jones said...

kids say the darndest things