Monday, June 18, 2012

February 14 - A Visit from Cupid AND the Tooth Fairy

Look what I found... this was an entry I made on the blog but never published while we were still living up in Vancouver. This was the last one I wrote before we left the country:

What a day.

First we had to be out of the house at 5:30 a.m. to get Chris to the airport for a flight to Boston. It's an hour's drive to the airport and then another hour back. It took a little longer coming back because the kids and I stopped for breakfast. I had them all ready for school but when we got back home, I had 45 minutes to spare so I made Ana look more presentable for preschool. The kids were surprised with a visit from Cupid, for on the kitchen table was a collection of treats, Valentine's Day cards, gifts, underwear and socks.

Then it was out the door again to drop the kids off at school. First Owen, then Ana. Ana was also having Pajama Day at school and got to go in her pajamas, so for sure, that saved me time getting her ready in the morning!

And then I was off. Off to the Library, then Town Hall to pay a bill, to the vet to pick up copies of Zoey's medical records for cross-border travel and then to the grocery store. I made it home with barely enough time to put the perishables in the fridge before I had to go and pick the kids up from school.

First, I picked up Ana. She came back to me with not only a big paper bag filled with goodies and Valentine's Day cards, but with a face covered with pink frosting. Owen had no trace of sweets on his face, but he too came home with a bag filled with cards and goodies. They were so excited to dig into those bags and eat their sweetheart treats but I made them wait until AFTER lunch.

Having been up earlier this morning than usual, I was feeling the pull of sleep. But it wasn't meant to be since the kids were hopped up on sugar and I was doing the parenting thing solo for the next few days. I managed to get the kids to cuddle with me for a bit during the afternoon which was nice but sadly... no sleep.

Took care of Zoey. Made dinner (EARLY!! At 4:30. The kids wanted more candy and couldn't wait till after dinner so we ate early). I let them have one tiny treat and it probably worked out better that they had their dessert sooner rather than later because it meant the sugar rush wore off earlier.

Or so I thought.

I had plans to chat with Chris online sometime after dinner. The kids were having some play time while I waited for Chris to appear online. I got the kids ready for bed and brushed their teeth. And then to my relief, Chris signed on. We chatted for just a few minutes when Owen showed me his loose tooth. He was finally able to push it out with his tongue quite a bit and I sort of panicked. That thing, I knew, was ready to come out. Chris was seeing and hearing all of this via webcam. I told Owen that that tooth was probably coming out and if he got a tissue I could help him pull it out. He got all giddy and excited and nervous and jumpy and anxious and he was laughing kind of maniacally. He went and got a tissue but he was too excited and had his hands over his mouth. He had to calm down before I could do anything.

I didn't have to do anything. He just pushed that tooth out with his tongue and it fell to the floor!

And Chris saw it all on webcam. It couldn't have happened better!

No comments: