This morning, Owen somehow got it into his head that he wanted to play with a baby doll and asked me about one. After thinking about it, I told him that there was one upstairs in his room. Ana had received a couple of dolls for Christmas. Upon hearing that, he said, "Ok Mommy. Let's go."
"You want to go upstairs and get a baby doll to play with?" I asked.
"Yes. Let's go." Owen replied.
So we went upstairs and I pulled down two dolls. One pink, the other blue and I asked him which one he wanted. He took both and said theblue one was for him and the pink, for Ana. I praised him for wanting to share as we went back downstairs with Owen clutching both dolls. He gave one to Ana and then proceeded to pretend play with the blue doll. He put the baby doll in the swing, in the high chair, in the exersaucer, he rocked it, sang to it and said the baby doll was going poopy. I asked him what the doll's name was. He looked at me, not quite sure how to answer that. So I pointed to Ana and said her name was Ana. I said that my name was Mommy and then pointing to Owen I said, "and your name is Owen."
Owen pointed to Ana and said, "Ana." Then he pointed to me and said, "Your name is Mommy."
"What's your name?" I asked him.
"My name is Owen."
"That's right! Now, let's give this baby doll a name." I said, pointing to the doll. "What would you like to name him?"
Owen thought about it for a few seconds. "Baby doll's name is... Baby Doll."
I laughed. Ok... so he chose the most obvious name for it. But that's not it. We continued to pretend play and then he announced that Baby Doll was hungry.
"If Baby Doll is hungry, Owen, then he needs to be fed. What would Baby Doll like to eat?" I asked him. I was expecting something like macaroni and cheese or chocolate or cookies or something like that. He picked up Baby Doll and cradled him near his chest. He lifted up his shirt the way I do when I'm about to nurse Ana. I wanted to laugh at this but I didn't want to embarrass him either so I just waited to see what he would do. Holding onto Baby Doll with his shirt partially lifted up, Owen looked at the doll, looked at me and then looked at the doll again. He handed the doll to me and said, "You do it."
6 comments:
How funny! What a clever guy. Owen hasn't started calling you Marisa or Chris, Chris yet? Thomas will call for Mike by name when he doesn't answer to Daddy right away!
hehe. what a little smarty pants!i love that he gave you the doll to feed! he is very intuitive.
liza
I laffed out loud..what good medicine your storis are Marisa..and your wisdom is profound. I would have called all the shots..but i'm learning from you how to inquire and be patient..a necessary quotient for an old gramma like me:)) thanks for the joy xoxox joanne
owen aren't you a smart one. loved how you shared the baby doll with ana....great solution...the blue one for you and the pink one for ana. ;-)
marisa, it goes to show that owen is a great observer. owen is showering "baby doll" with the love & care you have always shown him & ana. they do learn from their parents....you continue to amaze me.
i love that he gave you "baby doll" to feed.....very funny ;-)
thank you for sharing this delightful moment in the life of the winters' household.
love you lots, elsie/grandmama
xoxoxoxox
This is such a sweet little story. I love sharing in a little slice of your life. Thank you for sharing. Owen and Ana are too cute and too sweet for words!
Love, Mary Ann
That was such a great read! Owen is so amazingly cute. The way he was so ready to share and knew exactly what to do with a "baby" was amazing. I'm so glad he tried "everything". I don't know how you kept your composure, I'm sure it was hard; we were laughing from the start, he is soo cute! Thank you for sharing such an amazing story.
Love,
Aunt Sara
Uncle John
Post a Comment