Saturday, April 12, 2008

Owen on Ice

What a day! First, we woke up to a gorgeous day... a bright blue sky and not a cloud in sight. The high outside temperature that I recorded from the car was 72 degrees! By 9:30 this morning, we were outside and playing with Joanne's grandsons and Mason. Then after lunch and some quiet time (Owen hasn't been napping these days so now we try to have quiet time), Owen went out again with Daddy and Zoey for a walk. Then we attended Owen's first ice skating lesson. It wasn't much of a lesson, but rather more of a free skate with toys on ice. There were trucks, shopping carts, buckets and balls. Owen was excited at first but when he set foot on the ice and found out how slippery it was, he had second thoughts. Chris had to help him get anywhere on the ice. Owen wasn't comfortable with it at all. He balked, he cried, he whined, wanted Mommy and wanted to go home. But, I'm still proud of him. He stuck with it for the entire hour and Chris was a saint for putting up with it and trying to remain upbeat the entire time. I stayed behind in the viewing area with Ana. Even though Ana was fussy, I still had the easier time of it. Chris is going to be feeling the effects of this tomorrow. He's probably feeling sore now as I write this.
I took photos, but they're not good. The enclosed viewing area was at one end of the rink while the skating was going on at the other end. It wasn't a good photo-taking environment, one, being so far away and two, being behind plexiglass. I was a little disappointed by that. I think next week, I'll have Chris try taking pictures with our other camera.


I asked Owen if he had fun and he said he did, but not without letting me know that he fell down a lot. I told him I was proud of him for giving it a try and asked him if he wanted me to skate with him next weekend and he said yes. So, it looks like next week is my turn. We'll see how it goes. I hope today didn't discourage him and that when we set out to do this again, that he'll be open to giving it another try. Check back again next week for Owen on Ice Part II.

4 comments:

Heather said...

It's hard to try new things! Good for Owen for trying. I hope you're not sore next weekend Marisa!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great for children to try(and, maybe even a little bit scary!)new things. How proud you must be of Owen. He looks so cute and so grown up on skates. I just knew that it was a matter of time that he tried skating because we think that everyone in Cananda skates! You are such incredible parents.

Anonymous said...

horray for owen!!!! i am so proud of you for trying a something new -in the beginning skating can be difficult.... eventually it will get better and before you know it you will be an expert.

chris and marisa once again you have demonstrated what good parenting is all about. i love how you expose your children to new challenges and adventures. the love you have for ana and owen is something to sing praises about.

chris, i hope you are not too sore from skating.

marisa, have fun next week and wear knee pads...just kidding ;-)

as always, i love the pictures they are priceless. thank you.

love you lots, elsie/grandmama

Anonymous said...

what a little canadian!

liza