This was my dad's first visit. We took him to a few places. We took the ferry over to Vancouver Island and went to Butchart Gardens. We went to Stanley Park and visited the Petting Zoo, went on a miniature train ride and met the new baby beluga whale at the aquarium. We also hit Granville Island and did some shopping at the market and had a great meal at home. We also had days where we just stayed close to home. My dad helped Chris fix some warped siding on our house, which we're thankful for.



After my dad left, it started to warm up around here quite a bit. I was finally able to put Ana into her first bathing suit and we took the kids to the park where they got their feet wet at the water park. My mom and I took a few days to recover and then ventured out to the VanDusen Botanical Gardens for a little stroll. One afternoon, we had lunch with our neighbor, Joanne (or Joy-ann, as Owen calls her, which is more appropriate considering she really is a joy).

My mom has been fortunate to be a witness to some of my children's biggest milestones. She got to see Owen take his first steps a few days after his first birthday. With Ana, she saw her get into a standing position all on her own, without holding onto anything! This happened last Friday. Ana can stand without support for a nice chunk of time. On the downside, Ana is breaking out 4 new molars and 2 more teeth at the same time. So along with the good, Grandma gets to put up with the crying and the fussiness that comes along with teething. As for Owen, just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse, he catapults himself into a whole other level of stubbornness! Every other word out of his mouth is "NO!" In between that there's "I'm too busy right now," or "Go away," and then there's "Don't touch me!" and last, but not least, "Give me some attention!" On the upside, he's still very much a 2 year old seeking love and attention with a very endearing "Mommy, I want you," "I'm so happy to see you," "I love you," and then there's "I want to carry you." When he says that he means for me to carry him. He still reaches for my earlobes, which he does less and less now and when he does, I savor it. I think... I think I will cry the day I realize he no longer tugs at my earlobes.
Back to my parents' visit. I dropped my mom off at the airport this morning. And since then it's been so depressingly quiet, with weather to match... gray, overcast, cool and a light weepy rain. Owen woke up after I got home from the airport at around 6:30 this morning and the two of us just cuddled on the couch for a long while and watched children's programs on tv. He didn't ask about Grandma M until we went upstairs and into the room she had been staying in. She wasn't there and he asked, "Where's Grandma?" I reminded him that she went home and he was fine with it by repeating, "Grandma went to her house," and then he added, "to take care of Grandpa in the basement." Owen loves Grandma and Grandpa M's basement. Then a couple times thereafter, he reminded me that Grandma and Grandpa weren't here.
To Grandma and Grandpa M: Thank you for a wonderful two weeks. I'm so glad you made the trip here and I know it wasn't easy on either of you. Know that I'd do it again and again just to be able to see you and have you near. Owen and Ana really enjoyed having you around. They may not be able to articulate it too well with words, but their smiles and the way they reached out to you conveyed that better than words ever could. You spoiled them (and Chris, and me) and for that, I can hardly reprimand you because I would do the same. Thank you for everything... for coming here, for all your help, for the gifts you bestowed upon my children both material and immaterial, for the lunches and dinners, and of course the gas. I look forward to when I see you next.
Love,
Marisa
3 comments:
I'm glad you all had such a wonderful visit. I always feel a bit of a let down once we've left my mom's or she's left here. When do you get to see everyone again?
lots of sweet and tender moments in these pictures. you can see how happy owen and ana were having their grandma/pa m there.
i am glad you all had a beautiful and loving visit together....there is nothing like family and good friends to share happy moments with.
what absolutely beautiful and happy grandchildren i am fortunate enough to have in my life.
love you lots, elsie
xoxoxoxox
what a wounderful thing to have your parents come for a visit. you really kept them busy and I love the pictures. I really love the Island and especially all the gardens. Its so nice to get to see family but also so difficult to see them go!!
Post a Comment