Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Owen's 1st Dental Appointment

Today Owen had his first visit with the Dentist. He truly amazes me because he really enjoyed the experience! I had mentioned it to him prior to prepare him for what was coming, but I didn't go into too much detail until the morning of the visit. He loves going to the doctor, so I explained to him that going to the dentist was very much like going to see Dr. Fyfe. Then, while we were waiting to be called in, we talked about brushing his teeth and what that entails and I encouraged Owen to tell/show me how he brushed his teeth and then told him that he did a good job and should do the exact same thing when the dentist asked him if he could brush his teeth. I told him what to expect, that the hygenist or the dentist will look into his mouth with various instruments and that they might clean his teeth and that it wouldn't look like a toothbrush when they did. The place was very friendly. They specialize in pediatric dentistry and therefore the surroundings and the staff were very kid friendly. The hygenist was so nice. She explained and showed Owen everything and encouraged him to touch whatever she was using. She gave him sunglasses so the light wouldn't bother his eyes. He enjoyed that. Then the dentist, Dr. Chan came by and struck up a conversation with Owen. We talked about brushing, flossing and the fact that Owen has a crossbite and whether or not that will be a problem in the future. But the good news is that Owen has great teeth. After he got his teeth cleaned, he wanted them to do it again. The only snag we hit was when the hygenist put the suction tube in his mouth and he refused to unclench his teeth so she could take it out. I think it took us a good 2 or 3 minutes of prying and encouragement before he finally released his hold on it! It was kind of comical.


Then when all was said and done, Owen got a new toothbrush, some floss, two stickers and a little plastic dinosaur. He was pretty happy about that. Before we left, the hygenist asked if I wanted to make an appointment for Owen's next visit and before I could answer, Owen said, "Yes." Funny. I double checked with him and asked if he'd like to come back and see Dr. Chan again and he said yes again, but then added, "but, for another day, ok?" So we made an appointment for January.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go owen!!! i am happy to hear your first visit to the dentist went well. you remind me of your daddy - he was the same way. you look like mister cool in your sunglasses. not only did you get your teeth cleaned, but you got treasures to go along with it....how nice.

marisa, part of owen's great success at the dentist has to do with the way you explained everything to him in detail before hand. you sure thing of everything...you are awesome.

love you all, grandmama/elsie

miss you guys a big bunch ;-(

Kim said...

Wow, owen looks so much older. Like a real kid!

Christy Jones said...

What a great dentist experience!! I havn't had the courage to take Kara in yet. good idea to use a pediatric doctor and prepare him like that. Marisa you are such and example to me!!

Anonymous said...

oops meant to say think not thing. that's what i get for not proof-reading.

love, elsie

Anonymous said...

oh wow! owen looks so cute in those flip up sunglasses. he must be the only kid ever to like going to the doctors. that's so funny.

liza