Friday, August 28, 2009

The Trash Can... Not Just For Trash

Lately Owen has been exercising independence when it comes to going to the bathroom. Today was one of those days. After having some dessert, Owen told me he had to go to the bathroom. I was in the middle of cleaning up Ana and told him to go and get started without me and that I'd be there as soon as I was done with Ana. So he went. I went to check on him but he had the bathroom door closed so I decided to let him have his privacy. He came out and needed help buttoning up his shorts so I directed him back into the bathroom to help him with those as well as wash his hands. He pointed to the trash can and I asked why he was doing that. 

"I peed in the trash can, Mommy." said Owen with a smile, all proud of himself.

"Good God Owen! The trash can is not for peeing in! Why did you do that??"

"Well... cuz I didn't want to make a mess in the potty." was his reply.

I guess Owen thought I'd be proud of him. The laugh I was trying hard to stifle easily went away when I saw that Owen's aim wasn't exactly dead-on.

This was one of those conversations I had with Chris that began with "Your son..." when I told him what happened.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh owen you are one clever little boy. you should ask your dad what he did when he was a little boy....something very similar to what you did only it wasn't in a trash bin....if he doesn't remember have him give me a call....i know dad will have a chuckle or two...believe me i did at the time and still do.

love you with all my heart sweet owen, grandmama

oxoxoxoxoxoox

Donna said...

BOYS!!! What makes themtrying as children, makes them successful as adults... Here's to Owen and the lucky girl he weds one day!!!
Bless you Mom!
Donna xoxo