Aunt Sara, Owen, Ana and Deveau playing with water toys
After a week in Rochester and picking Chris up at the airport the day before, we left for our much anticipated Vermont trip on March 23rd. We had a wedding to look forward to and we were excited. However, just as there was happiness at Sara and John's wedding, the beginning of our week there was marked with profound sadness with the passing of Chris' grandfather. We got the call that Grandpa (Owen and Ana's Great-Grandpa) had passed on the morning before our drive up. It was a hard-hitting blow, especially to Chris who hoped to have a chance to say good-bye. The last time Chris saw his Grandpa was when Ana was 4 months old whereas the kids and I were graced by his presence on a previous visit last summer. Not only that, but Grandmama fell ill. Ana was recovering from a cold, but Owen got sick. Because of that, the kids and I never got to pay our last respects at grandpa's funeral. Even now I still wish I could've done that. I think this is one of the reasons why I've put off writing this entry. I sit here for long stretches of time just staring at my computer wondering just what to put in next. I couldn't be at the funeral to support Chris and the rest of the family in this time of loss but I was definitely there in heart and mind. My own grandparents died when I was young and I missed out on getting to know them as much as my siblings and cousins did, so to have someone to call Grandpa and Grandma again and be welcomed by them was simply wonderful. I will miss him. We all will.
Then, the wedding. Grandpa was truly shining down on Sara and John and the rest of us as it was an amazingly beautiful day for March. It was warm and sunny and the sky was just gorgeous. Everything about that day just fell into place, even though Ana fell asleep in her stroller prior to the wedding and really couldn't carry out her flower girl "responsibilities." I had to push her down the aisle while she slept! Owen was a perfect little gentleman, helped along by some well-placed bribery and a bag full of candy. He walked down with the ring bearer pillow and then said to me as we sat down, "Ok, I want my candy now." Sara looked gorgeous and so incredibly happy. She and John are so blessed to have one another and I wish them a lifetime of loving togetherness.
The rest of our stay in Vermont went by quietly. Grandmama still wasn't well and because I had gotten sick the night of the wedding, Owen and I were still recovering. And because of everything that went on, Sara and John postponed their honeymoon so we got to spend a little extra time with them which was so nice! It was hard to leave. Harder on Grandmama and Grandpa though, considering the circumstances. We miss everyone!
Ana & Aunt Sara
Ana in her purple tutu at the rehearsal - a gift from Grandmama (headpiece, shirt, tutu and legwarmers lovingly made by Grandmama's wonderful friend, Mary Ann)
The rehearsal

Sisters - Sara & Liza

The morning before the wedding. A little sightseeing & shopping around the village of Stowe, VT

Little piano players

Just before the ceremony - Bribing the little ring bearer with candy. Ana is fast asleep and slumped in her stroller. Her dress isn't even on all the way. She cried and fought herself exhausted because she did NOT want to wear the dress. She slept like that right up until the kiss!

Maid of Honor & the Bride

The Kiss

She finally wakes!

MJ, Great Grandma & Grandpa Rick

Passed out
A dancing threesome
Ana in her lovely dress
The beautiful (and delicious) cake
Sarah & Art
Emily knows the way to this girl's heart...
... and so does Ben!
Cutting the cake
Kissy kissy - playing chess the right way
First dance as Mr. & Mrs.
Owen & his boy, Stephen
Dancing with my little girl
Dancing with my little boy
Emily & Owen - giving Dancing with the Stars a run for their money
Daddy's girl
Aunt Deb giving Ana a dip



1 comment:
Thank you so much for sharing the great pictures and for the wonderful words! We miss you guys so much and really appreciated that you were able to make it.
Love you,
Sara and John
Post a Comment